Hello everyone, I am so excited to announce the Vajra TCAL (Tunisian Crochet along)! I have been very interested in Tunisian crochet lately and I loved designing the Vajra scarf pattern. It has received a lot of love from you all and I have decided to host a TCAL for it. You can see more pictures and read about the pattern release on my blog here. You will find all details of the TCAL in this post (there will be prizes too ????)!
- March 25 – March 31: Get your supplies!
- April 1 – April 7: Let’s en-gauge 🙂
- April 8 – April 14: Part 1
- April 15 – April 21: Part 2
- April 22 – April 28: Part 3
- April 29 – May 5: Part 4
- May 6 – May 12: Part 5
- May 13 – May 19: Part 6 (Last part)
- May 20 – May 26: Final submissions for the grand prize and judging 🙂
Technique and difficulty
This is an intermediate level Tunisian crochet pattern. If you are an ambitious beginner, this is for you too. There will be tutorials for all the stitches and techniques used in this pattern and I will be available to answer any questions along the way 🙂
The scarf is made up of a repeat pattern of 28 stitches. My scarf is made of 12 repeats and measures 13″ (33 cms) in height and 80″ (200 cms) in circumference. The size of your scarf will vary depending on how many repeats you choose. The calculations for estimating the size of your final scarf are included in the pattern.
What you will need
- Yarn: Yarn requirements will vary depending on how many repeats you choose. You will need fingering weight yarn in two colors. To make a scarf of similar size as mine, you will need 1000 yards (Color 1: 400 yards – the foreground (brioche pattern), Color 2: 600 yards – the background)
- Hook: I used a 5.5 mm double ended Tunisian crochet hook*. You might need to go up / down a size to obtain correct gauge.
- Tapestry needle* to weave in tails
- Stitch markers* in 2 colors
How to participate
- Newsletter: If you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to my newsletter to get all important updates of this TCAL (I also send out updates after a pattern release so you won’t miss any!). If you have trouble with it, you can leave me a message using this form and check the ‘Sign-up to our newsletter?’ checkbox.
- Join my TCAL: If you would like to officially join the TCAL, join my KnitterKnotter Hangout group on Facebook. This TCAL, along with any future CALs, pattern releases, giveaways and anything else I would like to share can be found there. It is a great place to share your progress and to ask questions. I request that you respect the rules of the group while posting. I will also schedule a live video every week there for me to be able to connect with you in real time 🙂
- Facebook: If you would not like to join my group, you can find updates related to this TCAL on my Facebook page.
- Instagram: If you are not on Facebook (or even if you are 🙂 ), you can follow this TCAL on Instagram. You can follow me to get updates there and if you choose to share photos of your project, please use the hashtag #vajratcal so that I can find them.
- Pinterest: You can find all tutorials related to this TCAL on my Vajra TCAL Pinterest board.
- Blog: You will be able to find all updates about this TCAL on my blog as well.
And, there will be prizes!!
Denise Interchangeable has kindly offered to sponsor the prizes for this TCAL. There will be 6 prizes in all – one at the end of each part (See TCAL schedule above).
At the end of each of the first five parts, one person will win a Pink Tunisian Crochet set. It consists of one hook (You will be able to choose a hook size – they range from 3.75 mm to 15 mm), two cords, two end buttons and one extender for cord to cord connections.
Note: These prizes are for US residents only. Non-US residents will receive a Denise Interchangeable gift card worth $20 instead.
One person will win the grand prize at the end of the TCAL which will be the Denise2Go Complete Crochet set!! It consists of twelve hooks, seven cords, four end buttons and 2 extenders that come in a pretty fabric and portable case.
I have the Denise Interchangeable Crochet Hook kit and I love it. I used it to make the Vajra scarf and have continued to use it for my other projects too.
Note: Everybody (US and non-US residents) is eligible for the grand prize!
How to win
Instagram: Tag your TCAL progress photos with #vajratcal as many times as you like. (Your Instagram account must be public.)
Facebook: Join the KnitterKnotter Hangout Facebook group and post your progress photos to that week’s TCAL update thread.
I will look at both Instagram and Facebook at the end of every week and choose one winner (You must have completed the part for that week to be eligible). It’s that simple!
These tutorials will be helpful in getting a head start on this pattern.
Let’s get started…
I hope you are as excited about this TCAL as I am!! I am looking forward to joining you all on your Vajra journey! Leave me a message if you need any more information or if you have any questions 🙂
You are welcome to join my Facebook group to share pictures of your work and to get any help you might need.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links marked with a *. If you use them, I will get a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.