Making Tunisian crocheted Pinwheel squares is intimidating at first but once you understand the technique, it is a breeze! And, by just changing colors differently, you can get some very pretty patterns! This tutorial will walk you through making the 4 pictures patterns.
There are a bunch of different Tunisian crochet hooks available for purchase. You can read about the hooks I use here. Because of the nature of Tunisian crochet stitches, I recommend using a hook that is at least 2 sizes larger than the recommended hook on the yarn.
I have right and left handed video tutorials for this stitch on my Youtube channel. You can find all my Tunisian crochet video tutorials here.
- These charts cannot be used independently to understand the pattern. You must watch the tutorial videos to understand the basic construction of the square before reading the charts. The videos also explain how to join with the foundation row in the end.
- Start with chain 4 and slip stitch with the first chain to make a ring – this is where 4 rows from the square will be anchored.
- After making the ring, chain 10 and make the foundation row stitches, join with the ring – you will have 11 loops on your hook at the end of the forward pass. This is the first row that is anchored to the ring.
- The return pass for all the rows is exactly the same: (yo, pull through 2 loops) * until you have one loop on the hook.
- The dots in the charts represent the join after all the rows of the square are completed.
Patterns you can make with this stitch
Click here to pin this pattern for later —>
Share your pictures with me!
I really hope you liked this stitch / technique. I would love to see what you make with it so please share your pictures with me!
– Share them on Instagram with the tags #knitterknotter, #madewithknitterknotter and @knitterknotter
– Share them in my Facebook Group
– Create a project on Ravelry
I strive to offer my patterns for free and that is possible only with your support. Please share this stitch / technique and your pictures as much as possible. Every share counts 🙂
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
You will receive alerts for new patterns and sneak peeks of my future patterns. I also share deals with my subscribers that you won’t get elsewhere!!