Square 22 of the Tunisian Crochet Blanket CAL of 2022 is designed by Courtney from Creations By Courtney.
This square features stranded colorwork to create a beautiful design!
Disclaimer: Materials provided by KnitPicks, Denise, and Walnut Farm Designs; this post contains affiliate links.
If you are new to the CAL, click here to find all the introductory information for the 2022 CAL including the schedule, supplies, and giveaways.
If you are new to Tunisian crochet, I hosted a CAL in 2020 that was designed to teach Tunisian crochet to beginners. If this one seems advanced, you are welcome to check that out and practice a few basic stitches before you come back to this one.
If you’d like to connect with other people who are participating in this CAL, you are welcome to join my Facebook group by clicking here!
You can follow this Pinterest board to find all the squares and other information related to the CAL in one place.
- January 5 – Square #1
- January 19 – Square #2
- February 2 – Square #3
- February 16 – Square #4
- March 2 – Square #5
- March 16 – Square #6
- March 30 – Square #7
- April 13 – Square #8
- April 27 – Square #9
- May 11 – Square #10
- May 25 – Square #11
- June 8 – Square #12
- June 22 – Square #13
- July 6- Square #14
- July 20 – Square #15
- August 3 – Square #16
- August 17 – Square #17
- August 31- Square #18
- September 14 – Square #19
- September 28 – Square #20
- October 12 – Square #21
- October 26 – Square #22 – Scroll down for the details in this post.
- November 9 – Square #23
- November 23 – Square #24
Square #22 – Twin Crossroads Tunisian Crochet Square by Creations by Courtney
Here is the designer’s version of the square, she made it with two colors.
Here is my square – I made it with 2 colors of the Preciosa Tonal Worsted yarn by KnitPicks.
Scroll down for the link to the free pattern.
The patterns in this CAL will also be available for purchase as a bundle. If you purchase the bundle, you will receive the PDF version of all the squares as they are released (you pay less than a dollar per pattern!). This is a mystery CAL so, if you purchase the bundle, you will NOT receive all the patterns at once. You will receive a new pattern every 2 weeks as the squares are released in the CAL.
This square is worked flat and features stranded colorwork. Here are my notes from when I was working on my square:
- This is an easy block if you can get your tension right but it needs your constant attention.
- Do not stop counting!
- I found that using a yarn guide was very helpful while working on this block. It made it easier to handle two strands of yarn, the yarn did not tangle and my tension was so much better than when I was working without it.
- My block ended up being narrower than a regular simple stitch block with the same number of stitches. I think I need more practice to loosen up my stitches.
- The designer offers a video tutorial that explains how to do stranded colorwork in detail. I recommend viewing the video before starting your block.
- My square follows the designer’s instructions exactly with an exception of the center diamond design. Since my square ended up being narrower than expected, I added a wide border at the left and right edges.
Pattern repeats and Adjustments
To adjust height: Add equal number of rows at the top and bottom of the block.
To adjust width: Add equal number of stitches at both edges of the block.
If your block is narrower / smaller than expected, it is possible to add a border to accommodate for the difference.
Helpful Links and Tunisian Crochet Tutorials (Left and Right handed)
- Tunisian Simple Stitch
- How to bind off a Tunisian Crochet project
- How to block a crochet blanket / afghan
- Tunisian crochet hooks’ review
- Tunisian crochet basics
- Tunisian Blanket CAL 2022 Pattern bundle – you will receive a new PDF pattern every 2 weeks as the squares are released in the CAL.
Yardage and Size
My square is 12″ x 12″ in size (along the edges) and used about 144 yards (132 m) of yarn and weighs 1.87 oz (53 gms).
Front and Back
The free pattern
The copyright for each pattern is held by the designer. You may ask for additional resources and tutorials from the designer of the square only. No one else can make a full tutorial of the pattern unless permitted by the designer. I have included my notes and links to my tutorials that I think might be helpful in making the square but those do not supersede the instructions and tutorials provided by the designer.
The only way for me to be able to provide this CAL for free is to monetize my blog through ads and affiliate links. Please consider making a purchase from my links because that gives me a small commission without any additional cost to you. If the ads bother you, you could copy the content of this post into a separate document and print (be aware that this page contains a lot of images which you might want to delete before you hit the print button).
Share your squares!
You could also create a project in Ravelry and share your pictures there.
Join my Facebook Group to connect with and share your pictures with other participants of the CAL!
Pin this for later!
Bookmark this page or follow the Pinterest board of this CAL to be able to find this post easily later.
This page may contain affiliate links where I earn a small commission. While using these links doesn’t cost you more, it helps me continue to offer patterns for free. Thank you for your continued support!
I strive to offer my patterns for free and that is possible only with your support. Please share this post and your pictures as much as possible. Every share counts 🙂
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
You will receive alerts for new patterns and sneak peeks of my future patterns. I also share deals with my subscribers that you won’t get elsewhere!!