I picked up Tunisian crochet about 2 years ago and it has been a great learning experience for me! I have learnt so many stitches and techniques and I am always amazed by how much it has to offer. I am learning something new every day! This blanket CAL is my attempt to build a blanket with some simple Tunisian stitches. The aim is for people of any skill level to join and (hopefully) learn something new and have a finished product to showcase at the end!
The focus will be on learning and we will take it slow – we will learn 1 new stitch every week and make a 8″ x 8″ square. At the end of 16 weeks, we will put together all our squares and make a blanket. You can create a project on Ravelry here to track your progress!!
Technique and Difficulty
This will be a beginner friendly Tunisian crochet blanket. We will make one square of size 8″ x 8″ every week and at the end of 16 weeks we will put all the squares together to make a blanket.
This CAL is focused on learning so you are welcome to deviate from the schedule as much as you like as long as you learn something new. You are welcome to make duplicate squares of the stitches you like. You could skip the ones you don’t like. You could use the squares to make other things (use them as dishcloths or make pillow covers or something else..). I just want you to enjoy the journey 🙂
If you are new to Tunisian crochet, I strongly recommend reading my post about Tunisian Crochet Basics for Beginners. You can also view my live video from my Facebook group where I talk about everything from myself, my crochet journey, Tunisian crochet basics and how to get started with the CAL.
I am going to make the blanket along with all of you so I will be making my squares as the CAL progresses. Each square will be of size 8″ x 8″ and I expect the final size of the blanket to be approximately 35″ x 35″.
You are welcome to make lesser / more squares and adjust the size of your blanket.
Gauge is not important for this project. Pick a hook that is at least 2 sizes larger than the one recommended for the yarn. If you are using worsted weight yarn, a 8 mm or 9 mm hook should work fine.
What you will need (with clickable affiliate links)
- Worsted Weight / Medium weight yarn – Approximately 1 oz / 30 gm / 70 yards / 65 m per square. You can use any number of colors to make this blanket.
- Hook – A 8 mm or 9 mm Tunisian Crochet Hook depending on the yarn you choose – If you do not have a Tunisian crochet hook, it is possible to use a regular hook that is not ergonomic – all you need is a hook that can hold about 25 stitches at once.
- If you need some help with figuring out which hook to buy, I have reviewed all the hooks I have used so far. You are welcome to take a look before making the final decision.
- Tapestry needle
- Measuring tape
How to participate
- Newsletter: If you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to my newsletter to get all important updates of this CAL (I also send out updates after a pattern release so you won’t miss any!). If you have trouble with it, you can leave me a message using this form and check the ‘Sign-up to our newsletter?’ checkbox.
- Join my CAL: If you would like to officially join the CAL, join my KnitterKnotter Hangout group on Facebook. This CAL, along with any future CALs, pattern releases, giveaways and anything else I would like to share can be found there. It is a great place to share your progress and to ask questions. I request that you respect the rules of the group while posting. I will also schedule a live video there for me to be able to connect with you in real time 🙂
- Facebook: If you would not like to join my group, you can find updates related to this CAL on my Facebook page.
- Instagram: If you are not on Facebook (or even if you are 🙂 ), you can follow this CAL on Instagram. You can follow me to get updates there and if you choose to share photos of your project, please use tags @knitterknotter, #tunisiansamplerblanketcal and #knitterknotter for a chance to get featured in my stories!
At the end of weeks 4, 8 and 12: One person will win a set of 3 hooks, 2 cords and 2 stoppers. You will be able to pick the hook and cord sizes!!
At the end of the CAL there will be two grand prizes:
1. One person will win a Interchangeable Tunisian Crochet Hook Takumi Combo Set!! It consists of nine hooks, five cords, and five stoppers that come in a portable case that’s perfect to take with you wherever you go!
2. One person will win Lion Brand Heartland yarn – enough to make the blanket in any color that is in stock!!
How to win
Instagram: Tag your CAL progress photos with #tunisiansamplerblanketcal as many times as you like. (Your Instagram account must be public for me to be able to find them.)
Facebook: Join the KnitterKnotter Hangout Facebook group and post your progress photos to that week’s CAL update thread.
If you are not on Facebook or Instagram: Send me an email with pictures of your squares that need to be complete before the end of the prize week OR send me an email with a link to your Ravelry project that contains pictures of all your squares.
I will look at Instagram, Facebook, my email, and Ravelry and choose the winner(s) (You must have completed the parts before that week to be eligible). It’s that simple!
The prizes are open worldwide. International (non US / Canada residents) winners pay shipping.
Let’s get started…
I hope you are as excited about this CAL as I am!! Leave me a message if you need any more information or if you have any questions 🙂
You can find my stitch guide with all the abbreviations here.
ch – chain
5dcbob – 5 Double Crochet Bobble – *Insert hook into the intended stitch knit-wise, yarn over and pull up a loop on the hook, yarn over, pull through two loops on hook; repeat from * 4 more times, yarn over, pull through 5 loops.
dec – Decrease – Insert hook into the vertical bars of the next two stitches , yarn over, pull up a loop through both the vertical bars.
fs – First Stitch – Skip the first vertical bar of the previous row (the one right under the one on the hook). The loop on the hook will count as the first stitch for every row.
tdc – Tunisian Double Crochet Stitch – Yarn over, insert hook into the next vertical bar, yarn over, pull up a loop on the hook, yarn over, pull through two loops on the hook.
tfs – Tunisian Full Stitch – Insert hook into the next space between two stitches, yarn over, pull up a loop on the hook.
tks – Tunisian Knit Stitch – Insert hook in the space between the two vertical bars of the next stitch, pull up a loop on the hook.
tps – Tunisian Purl Stitch – Bring yarn forward, insert hook into the vertical bar, yarn over, pull up a loop on the hook.
tribs – Tunisian Rib Stitch – tss in next stitch, twtss in next stitch.
trs – Tunisian Reverse Stitch – Insert hook in the back vertical bar, yarn over, pull up a loop through the vertical bar.
tss – Tunisian Simple Stitch– Insert hook in the vertical bar, yarn over, pull up a loop on the hook.
ttops – Tunisian Top Stitch – Insert hook in the back horizontal bar of the next stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop on the hook.
twtss – Tunisian Twisted Stitch – Insert hook in the next vertical bar in the opposite direction with the hook facing upwards.
txs – Tunisian X Stitch – Skip next vertical bar, tss in next stitch, tss in the skipped stitch.
ls –Last Stitch – Pick up the two vertical bars of the last stitch of the previous row, yarn over, pull through both the vertical bars into a loop on the hook
yo – yarn over
This week we will make the next square of the Tunisian Sampler Blanket using the Tunisian Bobble Stitch.
Resources (with video tutorials)
For this week’s square, you need to know the following:
- You can find my stitch guide with all the abbreviations here.
- I have made my square using the 5 DC bobble but you are free to make the HDC bobble if you’d like.
- The instructions below are only for the forward pass. The return pass for every row is the same.
- ch1, (yo, pull through two loops)* all the way till the end of the row.
Foundation Row : Make a foundation row with 23 stitches.
Row 1: fs, 21 tss, ls
Row 2: fs, 4 tss, 5dcbob, 5 tss, 5dcbob, 5 tss, 5dcbob, 4 tss, ls
Row 3: Repeat Row 1
Row 4: fs, 7 tss, 5dcbob, 5 tss, 5dcbob, 7 tss, ls
Rows 5 – 18: Repeat Rows 1 – 4
Row 19 (Bind off Row): Repeat Row 1
Pin it and make it later!
Share your pictures with me!
I really hope you liked this pattern. I would love to see your version of this design so please share your pictures with me!
– Share them on Instagram with the tags #knitterknotter, #madewithknitterknotter and @knitterknotter
– Share them in my Facebook Group
– Create a project on Ravelry
I strive to offer my patterns for free and that is possible only with your support. Please share this pattern and your pictures as much as possible. Every share counts 🙂
This pattern is for personal use only. You are welcome to make and sell handmade items using this pattern but you are required to credit the design to Arunima Goel @ KnitterKnotter by linking back to https://knitterknotter.com. Do not publish or sell this pattern, in part or in full and do not make any video tutorials of this pattern without my permission. When featuring KnitterKnotter in pattern roundups, blog articles or Facebook posts, you may use one of my photos and provide a link back to the original source.
This page may contain affiliate links where I earn a small commission. While using these links doesn’t cost you more, it helps me continue to offer patterns for free. Thank you for your continued support!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
You will receive alerts for new patterns and sneak peeks of my future patterns. I also share deals with my subscribers that you won’t get elsewhere!!