I picked up Tunisian crochet about 2 years ago and it has been a great learning experience for me! I have learnt so many stitches and techniques and I am always amazed by how much it has to offer. I am learning something new every day! This blanket CAL is my attempt to build a blanket with some simple Tunisian stitches. The aim is for people of any skill level to join and (hopefully) learn something new and have a finished product to showcase at the end!
The focus will be on learning and we will take it slow – we will learn 1 new stitch every week and make a 8″ x 8″ square. At the end of 16 weeks, we will put together all our squares and make a blanket. You can create a project on Ravelry here to track your progress!!
This pattern consists of 25 squares plus one bonus square from a guest designer. Scroll down for the free pattern for all the squares. I am also offering 2 different PDF versions of this pattern: 1. The beginner bundle where you can get the first 16 squares, 2. The beginner + intermediate bundle where you can get all 25 squares designed by me in a PDF format.
Technique and Difficulty
This will be a beginner friendly Tunisian crochet blanket. We will make one square of size 8″ x 8″ every week and at the end of 16 weeks we will put all the squares together to make a blanket.
This CAL is focused on learning so you are welcome to deviate from the schedule as much as you like as long as you learn something new. You are welcome to make duplicate squares of the stitches you like. You could skip the ones you don’t like. You could use the squares to make other things (use them as dishcloths or make pillow covers or something else..). I just want you to enjoy the journey 🙂
If you are new to Tunisian crochet, I strongly recommend reading my post about Tunisian Crochet Basics for Beginners. You can also view my live video from my Facebook group where I talk about everything from myself, my crochet journey, Tunisian crochet basics and how to get started with the CAL.
I am going to make the blanket along with all of you so I will be making my squares as the CAL progresses. Each square will be of size 8″ x 8″ and I expect the final size of the blanket to be approximately 35″ x 35″.
You are welcome to make lesser / more squares and adjust the size of your blanket.
Gauge is not important for this project. Pick a hook that is at least 2 sizes larger than the one recommended for the yarn. If you are using worsted weight yarn, a 8 mm or 9 mm hook should work fine.
What you will need (with clickable affiliate links)
- Worsted Weight / Medium weight yarn – Approximately 1 oz / 30 gm / 70 yards / 65 m per square. You can use any number of colors to make this blanket.
- Hook – A 8 mm or 9 mm Tunisian Crochet Hook depending on the yarn you choose – If you do not have a Tunisian crochet hook, it is possible to use a regular hook that is not ergonomic – all you need is a hook that can hold about 25 stitches at once.
- If you need some help with figuring out which hook to buy, I have reviewed all the hooks I have used so far. You are welcome to take a look before making the final decision.
- Tapestry needle
- Measuring tape
How to participate
- Newsletter: If you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to my newsletter to get all important updates of this CAL (I also send out updates after a pattern release so you won’t miss any!). If you have trouble with it, you can leave me a message using this form and check the ‘Sign-up to our newsletter?’ checkbox.
- Join my CAL: If you would like to officially join the CAL, join my KnitterKnotter Hangout group on Facebook. This CAL, along with any future CALs, pattern releases, giveaways and anything else I would like to share can be found there. It is a great place to share your progress and to ask questions. I request that you respect the rules of the group while posting. I will also schedule a live video there for me to be able to connect with you in real time 🙂
- Facebook: If you would not like to join my group, you can find updates related to this CAL on my Facebook page.
- Instagram: If you are not on Facebook (or even if you are 🙂 ), you can follow this CAL on Instagram. You can follow me to get updates there and if you choose to share photos of your project, please use tags @knitterknotter, #tunisiansamplerblanketcal and #knitterknotter for a chance to get featured in my stories!
At the end of weeks 4, 8 and 12: One person will win a set of 3 hooks, 2 cords and 2 stoppers. You will be able to pick the hook and cord sizes!!
At the end of the CAL there will be two grand prizes:
1. One person will win a Interchangeable Tunisian Crochet Hook Takumi Combo Set!! It consists of nine hooks, five cords, and five stoppers that come in a portable case that’s perfect to take with you wherever you go!
2. One person will win Lion Brand Heartland yarn – enough to make the blanket in any color that is in stock!!
How to win
Instagram: Tag your CAL progress photos with #tunisiansamplerblanketcal as many times as you like. (Your Instagram account must be public for me to be able to find them.)
Facebook: Join the KnitterKnotter Hangout Facebook group and post your progress photos to that week’s CAL update thread.
If you are not on Facebook or Instagram: Send me an email with pictures of your squares that need to be complete before the end of the prize week OR send me an email with a link to your Ravelry project that contains pictures of all your squares.
I will look at Instagram, Facebook, my email, and Ravelry and choose the winner(s) (You must have completed the parts before that week to be eligible). It’s that simple!
The prizes are open worldwide. International (non US / Canada residents) winners pay shipping.
Let’s get started…
I hope you are as excited about this CAL as I am!! Leave me a message if you need any more information or if you have any questions 🙂
Joining and Border
Joining squares: Since the squares are all of the same size but the number of edge stitches on them are different, I joined my squares using the Flat Braid join method. It is a lacy join and doesn’t require the same number of edge stitches on all squares.
You will have to switch to a regular crochet hook to make the join and border. I recommend using the hook size that’s mentioned on the label for your yarn. I used a 6 mm hook to join my squares and make the border.
Pin it and make it later!
Share your pictures with me!
I really hope you liked this pattern. I would love to see your version of this design so please share your pictures with me!
– Share them on Instagram with the tags #knitterknotter, #madewithknitterknotter, and @knitterknotter
– Share them in my Facebook Group
– Create a project on Ravelry
I strive to offer my patterns for free and that is possible only with your support. Please share this pattern and your pictures as much as possible. Every share counts 🙂
This pattern is for personal use only. You are welcome to make and sell handmade items using this pattern but you are required to credit the design to Arunima Goel @ KnitterKnotter by linking back to https://knitterknotter.com. Do not publish or sell this pattern, in part or in full and do not make any video tutorials of this pattern without my permission. When featuring KnitterKnotter in pattern roundups, blog articles or Facebook posts, you may use one of my photos and provide a link back to the original source.
This page may contain affiliate links where I earn a small commission. While using these links doesn’t cost you more, it helps me continue to offer patterns for free. Thank you for your continued support!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
You will receive alerts for new patterns and sneak peeks of my future patterns. I also share deals with my subscribers that you won’t get elsewhere!!